Sunday, September 27, 2009

White dragons are healers

Blackwing, Timoran, and I were playing Wii Sports Resort bowling earlier this evening. Blackwing, in a fantastic show of overenergeticness and ADHD, managed to swing so wildly that his arm went straight up into a low-hanging ceiling light, shattering the glass fixture and narrowly missing the fluorescent light within. I don't recall him screaming, but he was whimpering and bleeding pretty badly from the index finger of his right hand.

At first we didn't think it was that bad, but then we realized that the blood wasn't slowing down and Blackwing was getting increasingly agitated from the injury. Timoran tried to handle it at first, but it just wasn't working out so well. Blackie was nearly screaming any time we even tried to run warm water over the wound to clean it out; in hindsight we really should have tried using soap despite his protests, or at least washed our own hands to ensure they were reasonably clean. At this point, some sort of weird instinct kicked in, as did memories of the first aid panel from MFM earlier this month.

While Timoran briefly handled the situation, I got Blackwing a glass of ice water as he was complaining about being quite hot and didn't look so good. I then  asked for a first aid kit, and Timoran was pretty quick to get out of the way after Blackwing said he felt like he was going to puke. I grabbed the gauze pads out of there and used just one first, but the blood soaked through in a matter of moments, requiring a second pad. That too didn't last long, but the blood was just going through a small portion of the gauze. I took a third pad, folded it into quarters, and firmly held it into place. It didn't soak through after a minute so I felt confident enough that it was going to hold. I got the medical tape, firmly taped it into place, then Blackwing promptly lost his dinner after I had it secured. He later said it didn't really hurt that badly when I did it, but I'm wondering if it's because those nerves were just overloaded and not able to register the sensation.

Things calmed down after he was able to get his head out of the toilet. Timoran was trying to clean the glass off the basement floor, while I took care of cleaning up the bathroom and ensuring that Blackwing's condition was stable. The aftermath resulted in Blackie being relatively silent for the first time all weekend. We finished cleaning it up, gave the injured dragon some mouthwash for the taste in his maw, and things have since gone back mostly to normal.

Overall, the incident has made me wonder if I really do have a knack for things like this. It's not the first time that I've responded pretty quickly when someone needed some medical attention. I have stayed fairly calm during it. At the very least, I'd like to take a proper first aid class so I can make sure that I get things right next time. While I still doubt I'd make it into a full on career, I do enjoy helping people like that a lot. It's just something to think about. At the moment I'm just glad Blackwing's okay and I feel like I owe it to the first aid panel from MFM.

3 comments:

  1. Basssssically? Sort of XD.
    After I hit, the initial ten seconds were spent with them going wtf and me going wtf. Cartoon ignorance to pain. THEN it hit.
    That was fun, that is when stinging pain hit and i saw a massive flab of skin just cling to my finger, all irritated and bloody.

    Some kind of shock must have hit, as i became heavily disorientated, and weakened. Whimpering is an exaggeration but i did ask for a second of patience often, i was busy holding down food and trying to focus hard.


    it isnt a particularly "nasty" cut, but it is pretty serious, or rather...deepish.
    Initially, I did give a loud scream upon the freezing cold water going over itk my numbened mind was really not expecting that. The touching with gauze after wasnt that bad, it became numbish again.
    I got waves of heat running along my finger to my body and across it, they did not help the nausea at all.

    The big "oh shit" moment came when AFTER the third gauze was on and it wasnt bleeding any more. When Shira started bandaging the gauze to my finger, THAT is when a wave of impossibly powerful heat washed over me and I KNEW I was gonna puke. Sure enough, seven seconds later I was inspecting the toilet seat hahaha....

    After that I just kind of gradually came out of it, my main complaint being the foul taste in my mouth , which was mostly removed by mouthwash that...actually tasted kind of nice.

    All in all, yeah, bad luck and being hyper got to me. Having a herm around is useful. NurseHerm....shit, new fantasy get *fapfapfap...with the other paw XD*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the relay of this. It is just what I needed to read after the past few days. I a surprised there was no glass left in the cut.

    Kinda reminded me of my own somewhat traumatizing injury when I was younger. The short version is, I stepped on a rusty nail. it was a rather sizeable nail too. I have no idea how far it penetrated, or just what kinda damage it did, but I was screaming bloody murder over it.

    To be honest I was more scared of the tetanus hot that came afterwards, than I was of the nail in my foot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol your rusty nails reminds me of the time i stepped on a crooked beer bottle. A strong breeze blew it under my feet as I was stepping. It was empty, thus ilght. That was gorgeous too...

    ReplyDelete