Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I WAS a happy ING Direct customer

Up until now, I've been an exceptionally happy customer of ING Direct. Good interest rates and practically no fees for anything are two rather large selling points after all. But an e-mail I received earlier this evening made me seriously reconsider my relationship with them.
Here's the relevant excerpts from the e-mail:

The credit and debit card industry has recently seen a global increase in activity stemming from compromised or stolen information by modern day "bad guys." Although data wasn't stolen from ING DIRECT, we felt it was best to send you a new Card with a new Card Number as a precaution. [...]

IMPORTANT:
  • Activating your new Card will automatically deactivate your old Card.
  • Your old Card will be deactivated on October 20th, 2009 at 12 AM ET, regardless of whether your new Card has been activated.
So...  because somehow MasterCard has some security issues, my debit card is going to be deactivated in three weeks even though I never authorized such a step to be taken. If my account were compromised, I'd know about it immediately; the last time there was a security breach ING started sending e-mails for every debit card transaction and now that Gmail has push enabled my phone would get the message in a matter of seconds.

But apparently none of that matters to ING now. I explained my situation: that, as a truck driver, it's extremely unlikely that I will be home in three weeks given that I have to request time off a minimum of four weeks in advance and it's very rare I'll get to stop home while working since Florida isn't exactly on the way to anywhere else. The lady on the phone just kept insisting that this is the way ING has decided to handle the situation, that over 50,000 customers were going to be receiving new cards, that I was certainly not the first person to call in to complain, and that they will not be making any exceptions or allowances for anyone.

It seems like the only things I can do are to either withdraw a very large sum of cash ($1,000) or to resort to using my emergency credit card for day-to-day expenses until I can get home to activate the new card. I already threatened to close my account, but in hindsight that probably isn't going to help me either, since I'd still have no means of accessing my money for several days and - being on the road - I have to have funds available to pay for food; it's not like I can just stock up on a week's worth of groceries and cook for myself while out here.

Bottom line, though, is that ING shouldn't just assume that customers want this kind of service unless there actually has been a breach that directly affects them. They're instead leaving me in a situation where I have to risk carrying obscene amounts of cash or have no access to emergency funds at all.

2 comments:

  1. Do you still have a linked bank account? with a card through said bank?

    This is one of the reasons why I don't plan on closing my old bank account, so I can have a backup. Granted, it's a new reason now :P But still, always nice to have a backup in the event that I need to go to a physical bank for something (like $500 in fives or something :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kilroy - Yeah, I do, and that didn't even occur to me as a plan C. It's still quite obnoxious that I have to do something like that, but thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete