Monday, June 22, 2009

Health Insurance goes "SPLORT"

Over the weekend I received a health statement from my insurance company, just updating the amounts that I had used and what I had left in terms of health benefits for the year. Everything seemed alright, except a line item saying I would owe the clinic I visited in April $1,375.32, with a footnote saying to pay the provider when billed. I was ... uh ... more than a bit perturbed by that, as I'd been assured that the services had been paid for in full already. Further, while I do have that kind of money set aside, a medical bill like that definitely is not in my budget; something like that would make me have to cancel attending MFM and seriously reconsider going to FC.

Since nobody actually works the phones at United HealthCare over the weekend, I just called in this morning while waiting on a trailer unload. After navigating their obnoxious voice menu, I got a hold of a representative who took a look at it. The very first thing she said about it? The statement is completely wrong. The second? That she has no idea why that amount would have shown up at all as that's greater than what the clinic billed the insurance company for in the first place. She assured me that the claim had been paid in full and that I would not owe anyone anything for the treatment I already received. Further, they're going to look into it to see why that showed up at all and post a new explanation of benefits and health statement on the website to clear that up.

So, in short, I don't owe anyone anything and someone at UHC is obviously on narcotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment