Thursday, January 8, 2009

A few words about ads

For anyone who is subscribed to the RSS feeds for this or my work blog - and I highly encourage it, since you don't have to actively keep coming back here to see if I've posted something - you might notice ads at the bottom of some of my posts now. Google's finally integrated Feedburner and AdSense so I thought I'd give it a test drive. I'm using a relatively inoffensive combination of rules, though: ads that appear in the feed will be text only and will only appear at the bottom of posts that are longer than "about 100 words." At least, that's what the dashboard says; I presume this means that any entry less than roughly 512 bytes won't have an advertisement attached to it. My work blog uses an even higher threshold. Why? I find it obnoxious when the ad is bigger than the content and, this way, you'll get plenty to read even before you see an ad.

If you don't like it for whatever reason (or don't like the ads I have on the blog page itself), please leave a comment explaining why. Also, if you hate ads and aren't already using AdBlock Plus, I highly recommend installing it and using the EasyList subscription. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I ever actually collect enough revenue from this to get a check, so it's not like I'm relying on this for income and, as such, really don't care if half the people reading this block everything. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment