Monday, September 29, 2008

Interesting fact about Sprint (tech support sucks still).

After spending an hour and a half on the phone with support, I found out this little gem: if you have a signal strength on the phone of less than three (out of five) bars, they claim that isn't sufficient to keep a data connection going. Never mind that it was working just fine for six hours as I drove from Beckley, WV to Bumfuck, KY and, for a chunk of that trip, I had a signal strength of zero showing. Never mind that my connection works flawlessly on my phone and only dies the moment I actually use it on my computer because the phone won't let me keep it set up as a modem. Never mind that it's been sporadically acting up since I bought this overpriced piece of crap and have continued to pay an exorbitant amount of money every month to get service that I can't even use properly. Never mind that it's actually showing as being unplugged from my computer and being plugged back in as a Windows Mobile device. It's that I don't have three bars showing on the phone that's the problem. At least they agreed to have a senior tech support person call me back, though I'm convinced at this point that the problem lies with the hardware being defective by design.

Is there any chance that I can simply nail these guys for breach of contract because they're failing so spectacularly at providing the service I'm paying for? Their network coverage is poor and I frequently have dropped calls even when I have a supposedly good signal. Their data plans apparently work perfectly fine unless you're trying to actually use them for more than one thing at a time. And the single most expensive add on I have - $40 a month for phone as modem service - only works about 70% of the time. I'm going to make my case for that when (read: if) they call me tomorrow and, if nothing else, ask to downgrade my equipment to whatever cheap piece-of-shit phone they have on special and trade in what I have now for a USB air card like device. At least then I won't have a problem with the "smart" phone being retarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment