Sunday, May 17, 2009

Exercise - the old fashioned way

As a few of you may already know, I'm trying to get into the habit of exercising again. There's little hope of me improving my diet so I need to balance out my intake with a much greater output. This week, between running errands while stuck waiting on a load and running on a treadnill while waiting on my laundry, I burned nearly 1,900 calories and over a hundred grams of fat. Granted, an estimate by a heart-rate monitoring wrist watch probably is not the most authoritative source for such numbers - it seemed to be considerably higher in its estimates than the treadmill - but it does at least keep me from hurting myself by going way too hard.

For this upcoming week, my goal is 3500 calories burned. That's traditionally considered to be equal to a pound of body weight and I certainly could stand to lose a pound or thirty. I'll be trying for 600 calories a day, every day, but I know I'll probably miss one day and be too tired to reach 600 on another. I'll likely do more than that tomorrow, for want of activity and to help offset some of the extra food I had for dinner.

Maybe, just maybe, it won't be painful to wear these jeans by the time fall rolls around. >_>

No comments:

Post a Comment